Thursday, November 10, 2005

Good GOD. I ate HORSE MEAT!


Look, it was an honest mistake. I assure you I am in SHOCK. Who would have thought that modern Europeans would put HORSE MEAT IN THEIR FREAKING SAUSAGES?

I should know better. It's not their fault. I mean, I spent 10 years as a vegetarian, scrutinizing labels to make sure no piece of flesh would accidentally slide down my gullet. So why didn't I notice before that the package of smoked sausage contained MR. ED?

I moved to Prague years ago and maintained my vegetarian diet for a couple of years. Then I started feeling weak all the time. This is a meat eating country. I was living on fried cheese. I became a meat eater. I had to. First it was chicken. Then ham. Then all other pork items.

The Czechs eat a helluva lot of pork washed down with beer. In fact, I ordered something called a 'stuffed pork pocket' at a restaurant the other day. It was a grilled pork steak stuffed with ham, bacon and cheese. They REALLY like the pork here, okay?

But what gives? I was comparing prices on smoked sausages at the market, wondering why the ones I had bought a few times before were so much cheaper than the ones I was contemplating buying. So I compared the two side by side. One was about 3 bucks for two. The other pair, which I had bought and consumed several times, was only a buck and a half for two. I read the labels: THE CHEAPER ONES CONTAINED HORSE MEAT.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/29219

There it was below the harmless 'veprove maso' (pork meat), a few rows down below the fillers and additives: 'konske maso'. Kone is horse. Maso is meat. Do the math.

And I was wondering why I was getting the 'trots' at least once a week in the past months.

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/em/v03n08/0308-223.asp

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironically, according to your profile you were born in the year of the horse. ;-)

5:51 PM  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

Wow, that's something you don't experience every day. One to tell the grandchildren about.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home